Information we collect and how we collect it
We may collect information about you in a variety of ways. The information we may collect on the Site includes:
Personally identifiable information, such as your first name, last name, email address, ORCID Id, affiliation, country, personal photo, biography, and other academic information including DOIs of your publications, and subjects of interest, that you voluntarily give to us when you register with the Site. You are under no obligation to provide us with personal information of any kind, however your refusal to do so may prevent you from using certain features of the Site.
Information our servers automatically collect when you access the Site, such as your IP address, your browser type, your operating system, your access times, and the pages you have viewed directly before and after accessing the Site.
Scibey collects the globally published articles in the list of indexed sources from different data providers (like but not limited to Crossref public API, Pubmed, publisher, and/or public RSS feeds of the original source website. Articles’ metadata may include your first name, last name, affiliation, country, email address, and ORCID Id.
Information from third parties, such as personal information or publication history, if you connect your account to ORCID and grant the Site permission to access this information.
Data From Surveys
Personal and other information you may provide when responding to surveys.
When you browse through the Site, we use Google Analytics software to gather and temporarily store a variety of information about your visit. However, this information cannot be used to identify you as an individual.
How we use the information we collect about you
In Short : We process your information for purposes based on legitimate business interests, compliance with our legal obligations, and/or your consent.
We use personal information collected via our Site for a variety of business purposes described below. We process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on our legitimate business interests ("Business Purposes"), with your consent ("Consent"), and/or for compliance with our legal obligations ("Legal Reasons"). We indicate the specific processing grounds we rely on next to each purpose listed below.
We use the information we collect or receive:
- To facilitate account creation and logon process [with your Consent]. If you choose to link your account with us to a third party account (such as your ORCID account), we use the information you allowed us to collect from those third parties to facilitate account creation and logon process.
- To build your public academic profile . Your public academic profile on Scibey will show your first name, last name, affiliation, country, short biography, personal photo, subjects of interest, and your publications list. You will be able to edit those details at any time.
- To send you marketing and promotional communications [for Business Purposes and/or with your Consent]. We and/or our third party marketing partners may use the personal information you send to us for our marketing purposes, if this is in accordance with your marketing preferences. You can opt-out of our marketing emails at any time (see the "What are your privacy rights?" below).
- To send administrative information to you [for Business Purposes and/or Legal Reasons]. We may use your personal information to send you service and new feature information and/or information about changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- Deliver targeted advertising to you [for our Business Purposes and/or with your Consent]. We may use your information to develop and display content and advertising (and work with third parties who do so) tailored to your interests and/or location and to measure its effectiveness.
- Request Feedback [for our Business Purposes and/or with your Consent]. We may use your information to request feedback and to contact you about your use of our Site.
- To protect our Site [for Business Purposes and/or Legal Reasons]. We may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm [for Legal Reasons]. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- For other Business Purposes . We may use your information for other Business Purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Site, services, marketing and your experience.
Sharing of Personal Information with third parties
In Short: We only share information with your consent, to comply with laws, to protect your rights, or to fulfill business obligations.
We only share and disclose your information in the following situations:
- Compliance with Laws . We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vendors, Consultants and Other Third-Party Service Providers . We may share your data with third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform services for us or on our behalf and require access to such information to do that work. Examples include: data analysis, email delivery, hosting services, customer service and marketing efforts. We may allow selected third parties to use tracking technology on the Site, which will enable them to collect data about how you interact with the Site over time. This information may be used to, among other things, analyze and track data, determine the popularity of certain content and better understand online activity. Unless described in this Policy, we do not share, sell, rent or trade any of your information with third parties for their promotional purposes.
- Business Transfers . We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- Third-Party Advertisers . We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the Site. These companies may use information about your visits to our Website(s) and other websites that are contained in web cookies and other tracking technologies in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
- With your Consent . We may disclose your personal information for any other purpose with your consent.
- Other Users . When you share personal information (for example, by posting comments, contributions or other content to the Site) or otherwise interact with public areas of the Site, such personal information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside the Site in perpetuity. Other users will be able to view descriptions of your activity, communicate with you within our Sites, and view your profile.
How do we handle your ORCID login?
In Short : If you choose to register or log in to Scibey using your ORCID account, we may have access to certain information about you.
Our Site offers you the ability to register and login using your third party ORCID account details. Where you choose to do this, we will receive certain profile information about you from your public ORCID profile. The profile Information we receive will often include your name, affiliation, country, publications list as well as other information you choose to make public.
Is your information transferred internationally?
In Short : We may transfer, store, and process your information in countries other than your own.
If we transfer your Personal Information to countries outside of the European Economic Area or which do not offer adequate and similar protection, we will ensure that we do this in accordance with applicable data protection regulations (for example, by putting in place an appropriate data transfer agreement). We will do this with a view to ensuring the level of protection which applies to your Personal Information processed in these countries is similar to that which applies within the European Economic Area.
How do we keep your information safe?
In Short: We aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security measures.
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, please also remember that we cannot guarantee that the internet itself is 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our Site is at your own risk. You should only access the services within a secure environment.
How long do we keep your information?
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Do we collect information from minors?
In Short: We do not knowingly collect data from or market to children under 18 years of age.
We do not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under 18 years of age. By using the Site, you represent that you are at least 18 or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such minor dependent’s use of the Site. If we learn that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, we will deactivate the account and take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we have collected from children under age 18, please contact us at [email protected] .
What are your privacy rights?
In Short: You may review, change, or terminate your account at any time.
You may at any time review or change the information in your account or terminate your account by:
- Logging into your account settings and updating your account
- Contacting us using the contact information provided below
Cookies and similar technologies : Most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Sites. To opt-out of interest-based advertising by advertisers on our Site visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ .
Opting out of email marketing : You can unsubscribe from our marketing email list at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send or by contacting us using the details provided below. You will then be removed from the marketing email list – however, we will still need to send you service-related emails that are necessary for the administration and use of your account. You can also opt-out by:
- Logging into your account settings and updating your preferences.
- Contacting us using the contact information provided below
Do we make updates to this policy?
In Short : Yes, we will update this policy as necessary to stay compliant with relevant laws.
How can you contact us about this policy?
If you have questions or comments about this policy, email us at [email protected] or by post to:
212 City Star, 3rd Floor, 11th District, 6th of October